Catheterisation in School

Where an SNA is appointed to support a child with a physical disability, they are required to carry out care needs as stated in NCSE Circular 07/02 under Appendix 1/04. “Assistance with clothing, feeding, toileting and general hygiene”. For a full copy of circular visit

NCSE state that care needs arising from toileting, such as catheterisation are considered to be the role of the SNA and an SNA should be appointed who either has the skills or is willing to learn the skills to implement these toileting needs. The SNA shall fulfil these toileting needs until such a time as the child is able to catheterise independently.

The school must also provide accessible facilities which enable these toileting needs to take place in an environment which is respectful and safe for the child. Funding for adaption’s can be sourced from the Furniture and Equipment section of the Department of Education and Science, Portlaoise Road, Tullamore, Offaly (057) 932 4300.

This provision will only be available if all information in relation to toileting needs is included in the application for an SNA. SBHI advises that parents open the lines of communication with their child’s school as early as possible (at least 6 months before the start of the school year). If the family and school are working together, then the transition to primary or secondary school for a child with spina bifida and/or hydrocephalus can work for all concerned. This allows for a positive educational experience for both the child and the school.